Holme Hall

Site information
Planning responses
Report by Louise Wickham -
Holme Hall 1896 from Mowbray, C. B. J. [Baron]. 1899. The history of the noble house of Stourton, Volume II, p142
Holme on Spalding Moor
Current county
East Riding of Yorkshire
Historic county
East Riding of Yorkshire
Local authority
East Riding of Yorkshire Council

The designed landscape around Holme Hall dates back to the first half of the 13th century when a deer park was created to the north of the hall. The main phases of its development however were in the late 18th and early 19th century when the grounds around the present hall were laid out, largely to the design of Thomas White. The design is mainly legible today although many of the perimeter plantations have been removed and the parkland is now arable fields but the walls of the kitchen garden, the hall and lodges remain.

The medieval park was sold to William Constable in c. 1260. The Constable family of Flamborough kept this park until they lost their lands in 1537 but not before they had established a manor house to the south of it. When they regained their lands in 1580, this became their main residence until they sold it to Marmaduke Langdale in 1635. After the Civil War, the Langdales started improving the site and continued to do so for the next 250 years. In the 1720s the present hall was built and the designer, Thomas White, was asked to prepare an improvement plan in 1777. This was partially carried out in the next 10 years and then completed after 1800. In the 1870s, further pleasure grounds were laid out to the east and the parkland expanded to its greatest extent that remained in-situ until the second half of the 20th century.


Estate owners

In 1086, the tenant in chief of Holme was the Norman, Gilbert Tison, and it descended to his son, Adam, and then grandson, William. On the latter’s death before 1180, his estate was divided between his four daughters, one of whom married Robert Constable of Flamborough. The lands at Holme remained with the Constable family until 1537 when Sir Robert Constable was attainted for treason and executed. They were then held by the state until they were returned to the family in 1585.

Sir William Constable sold the manor of Holme to Marmaduke Langdale, later 1st Lord Langdale, in 1635 for £6,500 (WYASL WYL245/101 & WYL245/145). As a supporter of the Royalist cause, Langdale lost his estates in 1651 and they reverted back to Sir William Constable, who was on the Parliamentarian side. In 1660, Langdale successfully recovered his estates and died the following year. The Langdale family retained possession until the death of the 5th Lord Langdale in 1778, when it became the property of his son-in-law, Charles Philip Stourton (later 17th Baron Stourton). When Stourton bought Stapleton Park (see entry on database) and moved there in 1789, it was left empty until some nuns occupied it in 1794. He may have returned to Holme in 1800 when he conveyed Stapleton [now Stourton House] to Lord Petre but by 1805 Stourton had purchased Allerton Park (see entry on database). When his eldest son, William, married in 1800, he and his wife moved to Holme Hall and remained there after his father left.

On Charles Stourton’s death in 1816, his property was divided amongst his sons, with William inheriting Allerton Park. Holme went initially to his third son, Charles Langdale (né Stourton), who went to live there following his second marriage in 1821. Under the terms of his father’s will though, it reverted to his elder brother, Edward (later Vavasour) (Stourton 1889, 628), who in turn sold it to their youngest brother, Philip c. 1830. On Philip Stourton’s death, the estate went to his son, Henry, in 1860. Henry’s daughter, Amy, and her husband, Frederic Harford, sold the Hall and grounds to the Duchess of Norfolk in 1924. From 1929, it was used as a home for an order of Catholic nuns (Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 23 February). It was bought by Sue Ryder Care in 1981 and operated as a care home until its sale to a private buyer in 2018.

Key owners responsible for major developments of the designed landscape and dates of their involvement:

Odo de Greynesby [Grainsby] c. 1220 - 1250

William Constable junior c. 1294 – 1319

Marmaduke Constable c. 1359 – 1378

Sir Marmaduke Constable 1489 – 1518

Sir Robert Constable 1518 - 1537

Marmaduke, 2nd Lord Langdale 1661 – 1703

Marmaduke, 4th Lord Langdale 1718 – 1771

Marmaduke, 5th Lord Langdale 1771 – 1778

Charles Stourton, 17th Lord Stourton 1778 – c. 1789, 1800 - 1805

William Stourton, 18th Lord Stourton 1805 – c. 1816

Charles Langdale (né Stourton) 1821 – c. 1830

Philip Stourton c. 1830 – 1860

Henry Stourton 1860 - 1896


Early history of the site

Sometime before c.1223 – 1245, a park had been established at Holme as a property transfer from this period mentioned Thomas the park-keeper (‘parcarii’) (ERA DDCC/135/2/p14/2). The park was not in the share that Robert Constable acquired after the death of his father-in-law (William Tison) but belonged to Odo de Greynesby [Grainsby] and then his son, Ralph. The latter sold to ‘William the Constable, property: his park of Nordschot in Holm, the park of Odo’ c. 1260 (ERA DDCC/135/2/p1/1). On 2 November 1301, William Constable junior was granted a weekly market at his manor of Holm[e], a yearly fair there and also free warren in the said manor (PRO 1908, 22). The latter grant was presumably to maintain or perhaps rebuild the park that his father had purchased forty years earlier.

Further evidence of the park comes as his successor, Marmaduke Constable, complained on the 12 February 1365 that various persons had:

at Holme in Spaldyngmore, co. York, broke his close, park and dykes, and entered his free warren, hunted in the park and warren, dug in his soil, fished in his free fishery, felled his trees, carried away his fish and earth, as well as hares, conies, pheasants and partridges from the warren and deer from the park, trod down his land with carts, ploughed up his meadow and pasture, broke his park, drove away cattle agisted therein before he had been satisfied of the agistment and depastured his crops and grass with cattle.’ (PRO 1912, 143)

The location of this, assuming it was the same as the earlier park, was in or around the formerly unenclosed ‘North Field’ shown on the 1774 enclosure map (ERA DDX160/27). ‘Schott’ [or shutt] means an enclosure of a field and areas called ‘Park Closes’ and ‘Park Carr’ were named on the map next to it. This formed part of the later Park Farm, which covered 150 acres in 1775 with Park Wood listed separately at just under 14 acres (WYASL WYL245/672). A later map of 1836 (ERA DDX/36, Figure 1) refers to a section of Park Farm as ‘antient [or ancient] pasture’ (c. 26 acres in the southern section) and the remains of a moat is shown within it. This may have once surrounded a building such as a hunting lodge or perhaps a manor house.

In 1351, Marmaduke Constable had been given a licence to build a fortified manor house at their main estate in Flamborough and it continued to be their main residence until the death of Sir Robert Constable in 1537. The Constable family though may also have been developing their Holme estate. Between 1488 and 1517, 10 acres were enclosed to enlarge the park (Neave 1991, 36). In November 1514, Sir Marmaduke Constable wrote 2 letters from Holme (Kirby 1996, 191-2), as did his son, Sir Robert, in 1531 (ibid, 202).

A ‘manor house’ was listed as part of the value of Sir Robert’s attainted lands held by the Crown in 1570 (BL Add MS 40132 f. 20), together with:

‘outhouses, gardens, orchards, a tenement called the Milkehouse with the stable & heyhouse in the outward court, a garden called the Ashgarth…the new Parke & the west Croft…& the pasturage of 338 acres’ (ibid)

As the ‘old Parke’ and the ‘Warren & the Hoppyard’ are listed separately in this document, it is likely that the manor house and its grounds were outside the former deer park and probably developed in the late 15th century by Sir Marmaduke Constable. On 20 March 1566, a lease for 21 years was given to Arthur Dakyns for:

the site of the Manor of Holme in Spaldyngmore, Co.York and appurtenances thereof: with tenement called le Milke House, stables and le Hayehouse in the outer court of the manor, garden called Ashe Garthe, herbage of Newe Parke, West Crofte (8ac.)’ (PRO 1966, 356 & HHC U DDHA/4/6)

‘West Croft’ appears to be part of the immediate grounds of the manor house and this area is also named in the 1775 survey as being occupied by Lord Langdale together with the ‘Mansion House and garden’ (WYASL WYL245/672). It is likely therefore that the manor house of the Constables was in the same area as the present mansion, i.e. not in the moated area in the former deer park.

The estate was returned to the Constable family in 1585 but it is not clear whether they developed the manor house and its grounds further before selling it to Marmaduke Langdale in 1635. In 1631, Sir William Constable got an agreement to enclose 60 acres of moorland in Arglam that is in the southwest corner of the township (BL Add MS 40132 f. 35). Apart from this, there is no other archive evidence. After the Civil War, the estate was returned to Marmaduke Langdale and his son, Marmaduke junior, 2nd Lord Langdale. The latter made improvements to the main house as a builder’s note of c. 1663 listing the chimney stacks referred to the ‘old library’ and ‘new library’ (BL Add MS 40132 f. 76). In the 1672 hearth tax, Lord Langdale was recorded as having 16 hearths in his home, which was a substantial property. A drawing from a book about the 1st Lord Langdale has a sketch owned by the family that may show the former house (Sunderland 1926, 226-7, Figure 2).

After inheriting the estate in 1718, the 4th Lord Langdale built the present Holme Hall designed by William Wakefield c. 1720. As a letter to Langdale referred to ‘setting out the foundations for the new building' and not making ‘any alteration in the old building…lest the roof…should give way upon taking down the walls’ (HHC U DDHA 14/26, 6 July 1720), it suggests the new building was in a slightly different place to the old, perhaps further away from the public road. A letter the previous year mentioned that Langdale was thinking of taking land into his own hand (ibid, 7 September 1719) presumably either to build on or to form part of the landscape around the new hall.

In 1726, a walled garden was added as Langdale was informed by Francis Martin (his steward?) that ‘I got all the garding walls capped and put into very good repair the last summer. I hope they please your L when you see them’ (ibid, 24 April 1727). This may have been to the northeast of the hall as a survey and plan from 1832 describes a small area (0.1375 acre) as ‘ 2 - Garden’ (HHC U DDHA 4/125 & ERA DDX160/36, Figure 3). There was also an orchard as a later letter mentions: ‘I have been at a great expense this last winter of digging about and manuring all the best of the apple trees in the orchard’ (HHC U DDHA 14/26, 20 July 1727). The 1775 survey lists ‘Mansion House and Garden’ of just under 9 acres (WYASL WYL245/672), which would have included these two areas.

Lord Langdale continued to make alterations during his long ownership of the estate including in 1752, building a new barn and possibly the stables shown on White’s plan (ERA DDX160/28, Figure 4) as there are references to ‘laying plaster floor over stables’ and ‘making 100,000 bricks’ (ERA DDX160/5). In 1754, a new court was added, together with a little store room two years later (ibid). In addition to repairs to the garden wall in 1758 and the following year, James Hopwood was paid for ‘Garden House repairing, £6 7s 3½d’ (ibid) at the same time indicating a greenhouse on site. There were further alterations to hall in 1766, when the Roman Catholic chapel and servant’s wing were added that have been attributed to John Carr (HE Listing).


Chronological history of the designed landscape

1774 – 1801

Following his father’s death in 1771, Marmaduke Langdale (5th Lord Langdale) inherited the estate. Three years later, Holme’s common fields were enclosed and Langdale received just under 142 acres (ERA AP/3/23) from the allotments. The 1775 survey (WYASL WYL245/672) listed the following for Lord Langdale himself:

Mansion House & Garden            8a 3r 8p

                                                     3r 4p; 1r 4p; 1a 1r 28p; 3a 1r 20p [possibly stable area]                  

                                                     6a 20p

West Croft                                    10a 28p

Haver Close                                 10a 2r 36p

                                                     6a 2r 12p

                                                     6a 2 4p

                                                     5a 3r 20p

Allotment South Field                   33a 15p

Ditto Middle Field                         66a 1r 10p

Bailey Wood Herbage                  9a 3r 32p

Low Birden Wood Herbage          11a 3r 36p

Park Wood Herbage                     13a 2r 32p

Total                                              195a 2r 29p

Figure 5 shows where these areas might have been based on the old field boundaries marked on White’s plan. Park Farm was listed separately at just over 150 acres.

In 1777, Thomas White prepared an improvement plan (Figure 4) that included a new walled kitchen garden to the northeast of the hall, pleasure grounds to the east and an extensive park south and east with a shelterbelt around the eastern section (Turnbull and Wickham 2022, 204-5). Lord Langdale may have started implementing this before he died the following year but it is more likely that his daughter and son-in-law, Lord and Lady Stourton, were responsible. On 18 February 1783 and 13 March 1784, there are two payments made to White’s bank account of £300 from ‘Stourton’ that probably refers to Holme (ibid). In 1786, a private Act of Parliament was passed to allow the Stourtons:

to charge their Estates at Holme…with a competent Sum of Money for the Purpose of improving the same, and also to grant Building and other Leases of the said Estates the owners to improve the Holme estate’ (PA HL/PO/PB/1/1786/26G3n121).

On 20 June in the same year, they took out a mortgage ‘to secure £3,200 and interest, to be used for enclosing and improving the estate, pursuant to a private Act of Parliament obtained for that purpose’ (WYASL WYL245/1131). Lord Stourton though had been interested in another estate in Yorkshire, Stapleton Park, since 1782 and he moved there c. 1789 after completing the purchase of it. Holme Hall was left empty until 1794 when a group of nuns from Liege were offered it. They gave a description of the grounds around the hall on arrival:

‘The Garden was entirely overgrown with grass and weeds, and we were much distressed during the winter for gardenstuff…the bounds of our enclosure [was fixed] to the Garden containing 2 Acres of Ground walled round, 2 large Fields which were at the side of the House, the Grounds around the house…a small Orchard and a Shrubbery, above ½ mile long’ (Canonesses Regular of the Holy Sepulchre 1899, 116).

From this, it would appear that the new walled kitchen garden had been put in place, together with the pleasure grounds to the southeast. In a letter dated the 13 June 1786, John Carr suggests hiring the 'men who built Lord Stourton's Garden walls' (Hall 1989, 97), which may refer to Holme. In 1794, Stourton acquired the lands in Holme of the late Henry Myers that included the area to the north of the hall known as ‘Were Field’ (WYASL WYL245/1178). The nuns stayed at Holme until 1796, with Stourton and his family leaving Stapleton in c. 1800 and returning to Holme.

1802 – 1860

A survey from 1802 (WYASL WYL245/1090) showed the changes that had been implemented by Lord Stourton. It had the following areas at ‘Hall Farm’ where he is listed as the tenant:

Garden, Garths etc          14a 3r 28p

Hill Foot                            28a 3r 11p

West Croft                        9a 2r 26p

Haver Close                     10a 2r 36p

White’s High Garth          2a 2r 2p

Plantation                        17a

Burton’s Plantation         6a

Part of Hall Garth            3a


With these other areas described as ‘in hand’

New Walk                       7a

Park Wood                     13a 2r 32p

Doe Burton Wood          11a 3r 36p

Bailey Wood                  9a 3r 32p

Total                              135a 1r 3p

In addition, Castle Farm to the south of the hall (c. 575 acres) and Park Farm to the north (c. 150 acres) were listed. The latter was unchanged from the 1775 survey but Castle Farm and its lands were formed by Lord Stourton probably in the late 1780s. Also new were the 17 acres of plantations that were probably the shelterbelts and clumps proposed by White and seen on the later map (Figure 3). Hill Foot was the later ‘Hill Plantation’ that mirrored White’s shelterbelt to the east just south of the church. The site of ‘New Walk’ has not been identified but it may be in the area marked ‘19’ (known as ‘Were Field’) on the 1832 map (Figure 3) that was bought by Stourton in 1794 and later incorporated into the parkland.

An account book from 1813 to 1832 (ERA DDX160/6) detailed further work such as in 1815 and 1816, oak trees being planted in Park Wood and ‘land planted on near Hall’. In 1818, George Markham was taken on as the (head) gardener and two years later, the greenhouse was repainted and new glass added (ibid). These changes can be seen on the estate map of 1832 (ERA DDX160/36, Figure 3) and the accompanying survey (HHC U DDHA 4/125). While the parkland was still divided into 4 fields, there was now a carriageway from Moorend Road and all the plantations were in place.

The first edition 6” OS map, surveyed in 1851/2 (Figure 6) showed that the southern parkland (‘Hall Closes’) were still divided but the area to the east and north was now open and extended as far as the main public road, with an additional carriageway from there to the hall. A lodge had also been added at the entrance on Moorend Road. A map of the estate from 1860 (ERA DDX160/29) showed a small extension of the northern parkland towards the church but the designed landscape was otherwise unchanged from the OS map.

Later history

Henry Stourton inherited the estate in 1860 and although the archives are sparse, there is an account cash book from 1870 to 1897 (ERA DDX160/45) that gives some detail to the changes seen on the 1st edition 25” OS map that was surveyed in 1889 (Figure 7). By this time, the pleasure grounds to the east had been expanded with the removal of the old road to the church and adjacent buildings. On 11 Apr 1873, the ‘draining in pleasure grounds’ was paid for and on 7 June that year there was reference to ‘making new summerhouse’, the building due east of the walled kitchen garden (ibid). Between 1875 and 1880 there were references to planting trees and trimming new plants but where was not specified. It could have been in the pleasure grounds or the further extension of the parkland to the north. The final addition before 1889 was the North Lodge.

When the estate was put up for sale in 1920 (Yorkshire Post, 13 November), the parkland and gardens were unchanged. This area, together with the hall, was bought by the Duchess of Norfolk in 1924 and was occupied by an order of nuns from 1929. The revised 6” OS map from 1950 showed that parkland intact however it gradually was converted into farmland, the pleasure grounds though remain.


The Holme Hall estate lies just over 4 miles (7km) southwest from Market Weighton and 15 miles (25km) southeast of York.  


The historic designed landscape including the former deer park at Holme covered 360 acres (146 hectares).


The northern boundary is formed by the Lowmath Drain adjoining the ‘Park Carr’ fields of Park Farm from SE 814 401 to SE 818 401. The eastern boundary runs due south from there to the main public road to Market Weighton and then to the church. From SE 821 389, it follows the eastern edge of Hill Plantation to SE 822 381. The southern boundary continues due west until Castle Farm and then to the southern edge of Sandwalk plantation until Moorend Road at SE 814 381. The western boundary follows the public roads north until SE 817 391 when it continues along the west edge of Park Closes to SE 812 398 and then to Lowmath Drain.


The underlying bedrock is Mercia Mudstone, formed from clay or mud. This is overlaid with superficial deposits of clay and sand in most of the parkland apart from the eastern section near the church where it is sand and gravel. In the area around the hall and directly south of it, the soil is mostly naturally wet, acid sand and loam with low fertility. However the eastern half of the former parkland has slightly acid loam and clay with impeded drainage, which has high to moderate fertility.


The Holme Hall estate lies in the East Riding Landscape Character Area Type 6 and is an area of predominantly low lying flat arable farmland with occasional grass fields and woodland blocks. Church Hill is the one piece of high ground in the area rising to 45m AOD. Holme Hall itself lies at 15m AOD, a slightly elevated position to the surrounding land to the west and south at 9-13m OD. To the north, there is a slight rise to 16m AOD at Stocks Hill but the most dramatic rise is to the west towards the church and the Hill Plantation at 37-45m OD.

Entrances and approaches

West Lodge

Located off Moorend Road, this was put in place between 1832 and 1851. The earlier carriageway, possibly to the design by White, then ran east to the west front of the hall.

North Lodge

Located off main road to Market Weighton, this was built between 1860 and 1889. The carriageway from here was put in between 1832 and 1851 and ran due south to the west front of hall.

Entrance off New Road

This was probably the original entrance both for the old hall and current building.

Principal buildings

Holme Hall and RC Chapel [Grade II* - HE list no. 1083338]

Built in the 1720s, it was further altered in 1766 when the chapel was added.

Park Closes Moated Lodge [Scheduled monument no. 1015311]

Although there are no remains left, there was probably a building (or buildings) inside the remains of the moat in Park Close. The HE listing gives the following description: ‘The monument includes two visible moat arms forming the northern and western sides of the original moat, each measuring 75m in length. Originally the moat would have enclosed an area of some 55m square’.

The Chapel House/Presbytery

Built before 1832, it is located just north of the walled kitchen garden.


Constructed in 1873 in the extended pleasure grounds to the east.


Although the location is unknown, it was extant by 1758. This was probably the same building that was repaired and reglazed in 1818.

Gardens and pleasure grounds

In 1570, in the list of grounds belonging to Robert Constable there was ‘a garden called the Ashgarth’ (BL Add MS 40132 f. 20). It was likely to have sited near the old hall but the exact location is unknown. When the current hall was built in the 1720s, a walled garden and orchard were added. By 1775, these grounds extended to c. 9 acres. Following White’s plan of 1777, the area to the east was developed as pleasure grounds with trees and shrubs in the 1780s. By 1832, this covered just over 4 acres and is marked as ‘7’ on the estate map (Figure 3). This was extended to the north in the 1870s to c. 10 acres.

Kitchen garden

The walled kitchen garden and adjacent orchard to the east were built in the 1780s and covered 1.5 acres in 1832. Two buildings are shown on Figure 3, one on the outside of the northern wall that was probably a service building and the other outside the southern wall that later maps show as a glasshouse. This dates from at least 10 Mar 1872 when tobacco paper was bought for fumigating it (ERA DDX160/45).

Park and plantations

Medieval deer park

This was located in the area later known as Park Farm. The latter covered c. 164 acres and may represent its boundaries although no evidence has been found for park pales along the perimeter.

Holme Hall parkland

In the survey of 1570, there is reference to ‘New Park’ (BL Add MS 40132 f. 20) that was in the area around the old hall, possibly to the south where the new hall was built. While the areas around the current hall were laid to grass, they did not become an open area until after 1832. By 1851, the parkland had been extended north to include ‘Were Field’ and again in the late 19th century east to the church. By 1908, it covered 125 acres (Figure 8).

Hill Plantation

Covering just over 28 acres, this was originally planted between 1802 and 1812 as John Bigland (1812, 553) commented that Holme Hall’s  ‘plantations and grounds extend to the top of the hill.’ This was clearly work in progress as he continued:

But this place…having been neglected for several years, it yet wants many embellishments of which Nature has rendered it susceptible. By a judicious disposition of plantations and walks from the base to the summit of the hill, with openings at proper intervals, commanding views of the country, it would be easy to form, at no very great expense, a range of pleasure grounds’ (ibid).

It was extant until the 1950s but is now fields.

Sandwalk Plantation

To the south of the West Lodge, it was in place by 1832. It covered just under 3 acres until the 1950s.

Park Wood

In the centre of Park Farm, in 1775 it measured 13.5 acres and may have been remnants of the wooded area in the medieval park. It was replanted in the early 19th century and had slightly increased to 14 acres by 1836. However the railway line cut across it and by 1908, only the northern section of 8 acres remained. This small piece survived until the 1950s but also now is gone.


‘The Weir’ at the northern edge of the parkland may once have been the village pond, as it is shown on the enclosure map of 1774 (ERA DDX160/27) covering just under 1 acre. Still extant, it now is c. 0.5 acre with trees still surrounding it.

Books and articles

Bigland, J. 1812. The Beauties of England and Wales, or Delineations Topographical, Historical and Descriptive, Volume XVI, Yorkshire. London, Longman & Co.

Canonesses Regular of the Holy Sepulchre 1899. History of the New Hall community. Privately printed.

Hall, E. 1989. ‘Hot Walls: An investigation into their construction in some northern kitchen gardens’, Garden History 17, 1: 96-107.

Kirby, J. ed. 1996. The Plumpton letters and papers. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.

Mowbray, C. B. J. [Baron]. 1899. The history of the noble house of Stourton. Volume II. London, privately printed.

Neave, S. 1991. Medieval Parks of East Yorkshire. Beverley, Hutton Press Ltd.

PRO 1908. Calendar of the Charter Rolls, Vol III, 1300-26. London, HMSO.

PRO 1912. Calendar of Patent Rolls. Edward III, Vol 8, 1364-1367. London, HMSO.

PRO 1966. Calendar of the Patent Rolls, Elizabeth I Vol III, 1563-66. London, HMSO.

Turnbull, D and Wickham, L. 2022. Thomas White: redesigning the northern British Landscape. Oxford, Windgather Press.

Sunderland, F. H. 1926. Marmaduke Lord Langdale. London, Herbert Jenkins Limited.

Primary sources

British Library (BL)

Add MS 40132 f. 20 b118              Particulars and rentals of the manor [1537-1541]-1773

Add MS 40132 f. 35                         Agreement re enclosures, 1631

Add MS 40132 f. 76                         Memo concerning alterations at Holme Hall, c. 1663

East Riding Archives (ERA)

AP/3/23                               Holme upon Spalding Moor Enclosure Act, 1773

DDCC/135/2/p1/1               Quitclaim: Ralph de Greynesby and his wife Constance to William the Constable, property: his park of Nordschot in Holm; the park of Odo, c. 1260

DDCC/135/2/p14/2            Quitclaim: Martin of Newbald, with consent of his wife Matilda, property: lands of Robert son of Thomas the park-keeper (‘parcarii’) with a toft and croft, in Holm, c. 1223 - 1245

DDX160/5                          Steward’s account book, 1745-1766

DDX160/6                          Steward’s accounts, 1813-1832

DDX160/7                          Steward’s accounts 1853-1869

DDX160/27                        Copy of Enclosure Award Plan, 1774

DDX160/28                        A plan of improvements designed for Holme the seat of Lord Langdale by Thomas White, 1777

DDX160/29                        Plan of estate, 1860

DDX160/36                        Plan of estate by Edward Page, 1835; plan of Park Wood Farm, 1836

DDX160/45                        Estate account cash book 1870-1897

Hull History Centre (HHC)

U DDHA 4/6       Lease to Arthur Dakins – site of manor of Holme in Spaldingmore, new park etc, 20 March 1566

U DDHA 4/125   Survey of Holme upon Spalding Moor by Edward Page, July 1832

U DDHA 14/26   Draft letters William Martin (steward?) to Lord Langdale on estate and business affairs, 1719-27

Parliamentary Archives (PA)

HL/PO/PB/1/1786/26G3n121      Private Act, 26 George III, c. 36, 1786 [for Lord Stourton to charge their estates at Holme with a competent sum of money for the purpose of improving the same, and also to grant building and other leases of the said estates]

West Yorkshire Archives, Leeds (WYASL)

WYL245/101       Bargain and Sale from Sir William Constable of Flamburgh and others to Sir Marmaduke Langdale and Richard Meadley of the manor of Holme on Spalding Moor, 5 Feb 1633/4

WYL245/124       Acknowledgement from Sir William Constable of Flamburgh and others to Sir Marmaduke Langdale and Richard Meadley, of the Receipt of £6,500 for the purchase of the manor of Holme in Spaldingmore, 13 Apr 1635

WYL245/1131     Mortgage from Lord Stourton and others to Joseph Houson, James Houson and Henry Houson of 4 farms at Holme to secure £3,200 and interest, to be used for enclosing and improving the estate, pursuant to a private Act of Parliament obtained for that purpose, 20 Jun 1786

WYL245/1178     Lease and Release from executors and trustees of late Henry Myers to Charles Lord Stourton, of lands within Holme upon Spaldingmoor including a close or allotment formerly part of the North Field of Holme and two cottages with outbuildings and garths (one cottage being in ruins) in Rattan Row, 11 & 12 Sep 1794

WYL245/672       Valuation of Lord Langdale’s estate at Holme by John Raines, 5 Oct 1775.

WYL245/1090     Valuation of the estate of the heirs of the late Lord Langdale at Holme taken by Wm. Withers in Nov 1802, with a rental for 1805.


Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6”, surveyed 1851-2, published 1855

Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25”, surveyed 1889, published 1890

Ordnance Survey Rev edition 6”, revised 1908, published 1910

Ordnance Survey Rev edition 6”, revised 1950, published 1953

Figure 1 - Section from 1836 map of Park Wood Farm (ERA DDX160/36) showing the moated area. Published with permission from East Riding Archives.

Figure 2 - A drawing possibly of the old hall where the 1st Lord Langdale lived from Sunderland 1926, 226-7

Figure 3 – Holme Hall estate from 1832 map (ERA DDX160/36). Published with permission from East Riding Archives.

Figure 4 – Improvement plan by Thomas White, 1777 (ERA DDX160/28). Published with permission from East Riding Archives.

Figure 5 – Location of areas listed in the 1775 survey based on boundaries depicted on White’s improvement plan.

Figure 6 – Holme Hall estate on the 1st edition OS 6” map, surveyed in 1851/2. National Library of Scotland CC-BY-NC-SA.

Figure 7 – Holme Hall pleasure grounds and walled kitchen garden on the 1st edition OS 25” map, surveyed in 1889. National Library of Scotland CC-BY-NC-SA.

Figure 8 – Holme Hall parkland and gardens on the OS 6” map, revised in 1908). National Library of Scotland CC-BY-NC-SA.

Planning responses

No planning responses found for this application